Sunday, June 12, 2016

Hijacking the Blog Today

I rarely use Spitty's blog for any purpose other than allowing him to relate his adventures as he navigates his little world and critiques me, his Human.

But today is different.

We all woke this morning to news of terrorism in Orlando, Florida. The senseless deaths of so many innocents is a national tragedy.

Yet, that is not what prompts me to write today. No, what is on my mind is a different, closer tragedy: the death Friday night of one of our seniors, a kind and bright and beautiful young woman whose name I read at our graduation ceremony June 3, along with 61 of her classmates, her Spartan sisters. She and her boyfriend died in a horrific car crash, ejected from a car driven by another young man, going 90 mph on a street in South San Francisco. The driver survived and will face terrible charges for the deaths he caused, but none of that changes what has already happened. Our student, full of happiness, and excitement, and promise a mere week ago, is gone before she really had a life at all.

The cliches of death fail at times like this; no platitudes like "Well, he lived a wonderful long life..." or "Well, at least she isn't suffering anymore..." leap to mind or tongue. There is just a great yawning void where once stood a vibrant girl on the brink of her adult life. The loss to her family is immeasurable.

In my 42 years as a teacher and administrator, a handful of students have died. Each loss brings great sorrow for a life cut brutally short by illness, suicide, accident. There's nothing for it but to cherish and care for the others and try to learn anew whatever hard lessons the Universe is teaching.

Spitty will be back tomorrow.


24 comments:

meowmeowmans said...

I wish there was something I could say or do to help make sense of this terrible tragedy. I am so very sorry.

The Island Cats said...

We're so very sorry.

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Whether it's many or one, death can be senseless, awful and truly tragic. :-(

Max said...

Aw, man. It never seems fair at all when it's someone so young. I am so, so sorry.

Catio Tales said...

Karin here. There are no words to help with fill the chasm of pain and answer questions of why something like this happens. It's not fair. It's such a futile, futile waste of lives. My condolences go to the families, and friends, and also to you and your colleagues. You spend your life nurturing young lives, and then they are taken for no reason.

Lone Star Cats said...

How very sad.

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

TBT here: There are few tragedies like the deaths of young people full of promise for the future. As this sad accident shows, there is much randomness in the world. When I think of all the stupid things I did while younger, I should have died a LONNNNG time ago several times. I was lucky. Some are not. All we can do is regret the dead and keep in our minds what they could have been IF...

My regrets and sympthy to the friends, family, and school...

Eastside Cats said...

We lost some kids on our senior year of high school, for similar reasons. It haunts still. My condolences to their families and friends.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am very sorry for the loss of your student and her boyfriend. Every life is precious and I feel sorrow for her and also all those murdered and seriously injured in Orlando.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That is so awful.

The Whiskeratti said...

We are so sorry to hear of this news. Our mom lives in NC now, but she's from Florida, so that news was of special concern.

Stacy Hurt said...

How horrible. Unutterably horrible. I send my hugs and love to you.

Stacy Hurt said...

How horrible. Unutterably horrible. I send my hugs and love to you.

Anonymous said...

How tragic and heartbreaking........Sending hugs - sometimes it's all we can do....

Love, Pam and Sam

da tabbies o trout towne said...

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

God's strength to the families and friends of these young people; especially the parents

our sincerest sympathies to all ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colehaus Cats said...

We are so sorry and are sending good thoughts to you and their families.

pilch92 said...

I am so sorry. There are no words of comfort for such a tragedy.

Katie Isabella said...

My love and sympathy go to her family and her friends and teachers. I am aware what a horrible tragedy this is and I send condolences straight from my heart. To you as well. You are in sorrow. If I were there, I would hug you softly. Know I am doing that in prayer from a distance. All my love to you.

rainbow said...

So very sad.

Ivan from WMD said...

Words fail us. :-(

Savannah's Paw Tracks said...

oh Mary, what a horrible tragedy. Just beyond imaginable for the girl's family and all those who graduated with her and who, like you, taught her and came to know her. POTP for you and your student body and all teachers and parents

Marvelous Marv said...

Our hearts grieve. Mary, we can offer no platitudes. We can only send you our love.
Nellie and Barb

Cathy Keisha said...

There is nothing worse than parents who have to bury a child but I'm sure there teachers feel the pain too. Sending comforting purrz.

Kitties Blue said...

At that young age we all feel as if we are invincible and participate in activities and behaviors that are reckless and thoughtless. Three young lives lost (those dead and the one who will be punished) is a huge tragedy. Our hearts and prayers as well as our mom's go out to the families and friends of these young people just as they do to those in Orlando. Both tragedies are horrific and unbearably sad. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo